Common problems associated with Members’ materials
- Subscribing automatically in iTunes (one-click method)
- Subscribing manually in iTunes (manual method)
- iTunes doesn’t recognise my username and/or password
- Downloading individual items from the members’ pages
- Where are the Flashcards?
- Other questions
Premium iTunes feeds: one-click method
Our premium materials can be downloaded automatically in iTunes. Please follow the instructions below to ensure you access the correct materials.
- Make sure you’ve downloaded iTunes.
- First, try the one-click method listed in the table below. Having purchased a membership, click the appropriate link below and you should be taken to your podcast listing in iTunes where you’ll see a new podcast: eg. RLN Coffee Break Spanish Level 1 Platinum (lessons 1-40). If this doesn’t work, follow the instructions for the ‘manual method’ below.
- Note that it is useful to click on the “List view” in order to see the episodes more clearly, as shown in the image below.
- Depending on how your iTunes is set up, you’ll probably just download the most recent item in the feed, which is likely to be a set of instructions.
- You should then click on the expand triangle, as shown below. This will reveal the list of files available to you.
- You can now click the ‘get all’ button in order to download all the files available in your membership automatically.
Premium iTunes feeds: manual method
- Copy the full url from the table below for the appropriate level.
- Go to iTunes and select Subscribe to podcast… from the Advance menu, as shown below:
- Paste in the appropriate url.
- You should now be subscribed to the premium version of the podcast and you can follow the remaining instructions from item #3 in the one-click method above.
iTunes keeps asking me for my username and password
If iTunes is not recognising your username and password there are two possibilites:
- Your username and password are incorrect. Please make sure that you are typing your username in lower case and your password as case-sensitive. If this does not help, consider the other possibility below.
- You have mistakenly subscribed to the wrong feed, eg. you have purchased a Silver membership and you’ve subscribed to the Gold. If this is the case, you must remove the wrong podcast from your podcast list in iTunes. To do this, select the podcast in your podcast list and click on “unsubscribe” at the bottom of the screen. You can then delete this feed from iTunes and subscribe to the correct premium feed from the members’ page of whichever podcast you’ve purchased.
Downloading individual items from the members’ pages
You may wish to download individual items from the members’ pages, eg. to copy the files to an mp3 player or to back them up. You can right-click (or control-click on a Mac) to download any files you require from the appropriate members’ page. Remember that you will only have access to the files in the column relating to your membership, eg. if you have a Gold membership then you can download any files in the bronze, silver and gold columns. The platinum materials will not be available to you.
When downloading files, we would suggest that you first create an appropriately named folder on your computer, eg. “Coffee Break Spanish” or equivalent. This way all your downloads can go to this folder and you will easily be able to back up these files or move them to your music management application for copying to an mp3 player.
Where are the Flashcards?
The Flashcards are part of the Enhanced podcast which includes images featuring the words and phrases synchronised to the audio. Imagine this as a synchronised slideshow which you can watch as you listen. To access the flashcards, you can use iTunes. You should see four small buttons at the bottom left of your screen. The fourth of these buttons is used to show “album artwork”, and by clicking this you will open the artwork viewer, as shown below:
When you play the enhanced podcasts, you’ll now see the images associated with the podcast change as the podcast progresses. If you wish to see them in a larger window, simply click on the small image.
It’s also possible to view the enhanced podcasts on iPods or iPhones. On newer iPods, the images/flashcards play automatically. On older models, click on the central button 3 or 4 times (depending on the model) and you should see the artwork appear as the audio plays.
If you have other questions about our premium materials, please contact us through our helpdesk.