Welcome to this first episode of Coffee Break German, our new German course for beginners. In weekly episodes you’ll join native speaker Thomas who’ll be teaching learner Mark in gradual, structured lessons. Our “Cultural Correspondent” Julia and our “Grammar Guru” Kirsten will also join us in each episode to share their knowledge and love of all things German.
Coming up in this lesson…
In this first lesson, Thomas introduces us to the German language, and you’ll learn some useful words and phrases:
- how to say “hello” and “goodbye”;
- how to say “how are you?” and how to answer this question;
- the words for “yes” and “no”, and other useful German words which will come in handy every day.
You’ll also meet the other members of the Coffee Break German team: learner Mark is more used to teaching French and Spanish in Coffee Break French and Coffee Break Spanish; Kirsten, our Grammar Guru and self-confessed grammar geek, will be bringing us regular explanations of the trickier aspects of the German language; and Julia, our Cultural Correspondent, will provide the inside knowledge on all things German, Swiss and Austrian.
Listen to the lesson
This audio lesson is free, as are all the main audio lessons of Coffee Break German. In addition we do offer a members’ version of the course which includes video flashcards, lesson notes and bonus audio materials. Full details of the members’ version will be published later today.
Use the audio players below to listen to the lesson, or subscribe in iTunes to receive this lesson and all future lessons automatically.
Accessing the Premium Version
The premium version of Coffee Break German provides additional materials which will help you move forward more effectively with your German studies. The premium version includes the following elements:
- Video flashcards: listen to each lesson and see the words and phrases covered in the lesson displayed on the screen of your computer, phone or tablet (mp4 format);
- Bonus audio materials: use our review lessons to practise the language covered in the main lesson, and to pick up some useful bonus vocabulary;
- Comprehensive lesson notes: study the language of each lesson in greater detail and access additional information about the German language.
The members’ version can be accessed through our membership system. You can purchase the course using the links below. Please note that the lessons are published over the next year (2013) and you will have access to the materials as soon as they are published. Think of this as a “Season Pass”.
If you’d like to find out more about the Coffee Break German members’ version, please watch this video which should explain everything.